In today’s episode, I sit down with one of my good friends, Ryan Ayala. Ryan and I used to work together at Saint Mary’s Catholic High School in Phoenix, where he is the school’s campus minister. I ask him, “How Did You Get Here?”
Zélie is a lovely name for a daughter (or a mother).
Shows I Mentioned (Don’t Judge)
- The Tiger King – Watching this is like watching a car accident on the freeway, but the freeway is a circus-themed gay rodeo with big cats and meth-heads and the highway patrol work has been outsourced to disgruntled Wal-Mart employees who are missing any number of teeth and/or limbs.
- McMillions – An incredibly compelling documentary series about the McDonald’s Monopoly scandal. Who knew McDonald’s was so bingeable? (<—a joke?)
Visual Confirmation that I Talk too Much
Unsolicited Domestic Advice
Always assume your spouse has had a worse day than you did.–Attributed to Ryan Ayala’s hero/mentor, Rob Drapeau
- Bright and Cheerful Christian Homes – Read this.
- On MacGuffins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin
- Deacon James Keating‘s talk on Happy Hour with your wife is available here. (You’ll have to drop $10, but it’s worth it.) Buy the book on Spousal Prayer that Ryan mentioned.
- Read “The Romance of Thrift” in G.K. Chesterton’s What’s Wrong With the World or listen if you’ve got somewhere to be. During quarantine.
- Leisure the Basis of Culture by Joseph Pieper
- Divini Illius Magistri – “On Christian Education” by Pope Pius XI
Pope Meme: Hit or Miss?
- Pat Metheny “Two Folk Songs” – My college roommates (and Pat Metheny) persuaded me of this song’s excellence.
The Usual Links:
- RCIA at St. Thomas the Apostle: http://staphx.org/becomingcatholic
- Leave us a message here. Or email me [email protected]
- Subscribe, like, rate, etc.!
- Pray for Us!
- Stay Healthy!
- To Ryan Ayala for coming on the show.
- To Zoom for existing (and making this episode possible / passable).
- To BPD for producing the show.