In today’s episode, I sit down with Simone Rizkallah, Catholic writer, speaker, and feminine genius and ask her, “How did you get here?” Simone is the Director of Program Growth for Endow, an apostolate that unites the Catholic intellectual tradition with intentional community by creating study guides and organizing women into small groups. Apostolate is a $10 Catholic word for “lay ministry.”
Lots of notes this week. N.B.: some links lead to my Amazon affiliate page, which has generated precisely zero dollars in the 10+ years I’ve had it.
- That bit about the “old beat up Chevy Impala” was stolen from the H.G. Players comedy troupe: Strange But True! Comedy gold.
- You don’t read enough Chesterton. Start here: https://www.chesterton.org/who-is-this-guy/ Then, if you’re brave, check out my class on The Everlasting Man (the book that persuaded a young atheist C.S. Lewis to become a Christian): Everlasting Man at the Institute of Catholic Theology
- Click here to learn more about the Armenian Genocide. The Oscar Isaac movie The Promise is worth watching.
- Simone says she breathes with both lungs. That’s a reference to St. John Paul II’s line in Ut Unum Sint, “the Church must breathe with her two lungs!”
- More on the Armenian Rite.
- Forming Intentional Disciples by Sherry Weddell
- Prayer That We May Seek God and Find Him by St. Ambrose of Milan
Lord, teach me to seek you, and reveal yourself to me when I seek you. For I cannot seek you unless you first teach me, nor find you unless you first reveal yourself to me. Let me seek you in longing and long for you in seeking. Let me find you in love, and love you in finding. Amen.Saint Ambrose
- More about Saint Ambrose and the Emperor Theodosius. Here is the picture of Saint Ambrose and Theodosius that my college roommate gave me.
- The Internet remains tight-lipped about the origin of the “even the Catholics are Protestant” quote. If you know, let us know.
- Info about The Fellowship and the National Prayer Breakfast. The Netflix hit piece is called The Family. It’s garbage; I don’t know why I even mentioned it. Here is an interesting read about the movement behind The Fellowship from a Catholic perspective.
- More on Communion & Liberation, the group that Simone mentioned.
- More on the Charismatic Renewal in the Catholic Church.
- Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s quote on shepherds is from his book The Priest Is Not His Own can be found here and bought here.
The shepherd’s primary duty is to search out the lost sheep and stay with it once found.Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen
- Simone’s work:
- Send her an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pray for Amanda Bynes and all the other entertainers we forget are humans like the rest of us slobs.
- RCIA at St. Thomas the Apostle: http://staphx.org/becomingcatholic
- Leave us a message here.
- Subscribe, like, rate, etc.!
- Rob’s Blog: www.robdrapeau.com
- Ora pro nobis!
To BPD for producing the show.
To Jon Cline and Andrew Mayer who tried to salvage the audio from my estupidez.
To Simone for being our First Lady!